Wednesday 30 September 2015

Remembering Taiga.

I had my very own marley for me.
I would pull up the little brown stool that wandered around our kitchen, and plop myself down beside you. I would sing songs, convinced that while all those people inside the kitchen were annoying - you would be and were my best friend. I don't know how you didn't bark at the first sounds of me singing. But truth be told, you didn't bark much. When storms came and scared you stiff, you would just cower in the bathroom - hoping it would be over soon.
Oh, you sweet girl.
My sister and I would come to you with our newly gifted plastic medical kits and lift your ear, open your mouth and check your paws. You didn't protest. Not even when we decided you were the next best thing to a donkey.
I would ask about that big black ball that caused your left eye to droop just a few centimeters and the reply was always "Hashem made her like that."
And yes He did. He made you like that.
He made you a sweet puppy who grew into a dog that was nothing short of the younger sibling I never had.
He made you with a coat better than shining armor, your hairs were deep red - forever shedding around the house.
And I remember, sweet girl. I remember how I grew up with you always there and I remember the day that He took you back. I went with Imma to go pick up her sheitel, for it was a Friday afternoon. On the way to the car, we passed Abba and the boys digging your new bed. Your forever bed.
And I came back and I sat by you, laid my hand on your belly and watched it rise and fall, rise and fall, rise and fall. I watched you breathe heavily until my hand fell with your exhale and didn't rise back up. "Abba!" I called "Taiga isn't breathing". So they picked up what once was you and placed it on our favorite orange sled, one last time we pulled you to the apple tree in our backyard.
I don't remember any ceremony, just dirt filling the space where I first encountered death. Just me placing my favorite toy dog on top of the fresh mound because I decided you needed a companion. And each week, the mound got flatter. And then the apples fell, rotting into the ground. I hope they were sweet, I would feed you my crust if only I still could.
There are 8 of us, and yet you were each of ours and ours alone.
I  hate the fact that I'm the youngest because I got to live with you the least.
And I was little, not more than a 2nd grader. But I remember you, golden girl.
And I miss my Taiga more than makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment