Saturday 19 September 2015

Throwback poem. Eric Garner.

Please just leave me alone,
Officer
Please just leave me alone.
A man minding his business,
Approached because of the
Complexion of his skin.
Innocent until proven guilty,
Flipped upside down on its very face.
Justice has taken another form
From what I have known it to be.
Standing on a street corner
Is no longer okay
When you're skin is too dark.
The right to exist is not there
When you're judged for who you are.
Guilty until proven innocent,
Never even given the chance.
Slap a badge on it, give it a gun
And all actions are excused.
Since when is living a crime.
Since when is murder not.
Trends are for bowties and skinny jeans,
Not the murder of innocent people.
Today I am ashamed to be white.
Today I am ashamed to be safe.
Today I will stand up for those who no longer can.

Please officer, just leave me alone.
Please officer, just leave me alone.
I was just standing here.
I'm so sick of this.
I can't breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment