Saturday 19 September 2015

Texting.

Texting is the land of miscommunications. We send out messages, waiting for replies - forgetting the human on the other side of the screen. False assurances typed out, an emoji here, lol there will make things alright. Providing an air of "no, you are not forgotten. All the attention you could possibly need is right here in the palm of your hand. With me. But not all of me. Only the parts of me so filtered out, snatches of time in which to type a reply. Our relationships should not rely on the appearance of that second check. Our role models should not be the little green words saying " typing...". We fall back on our phones, an easy way out. After all it is infinitely easier to say what we would rather not hear to a screen that will not give us looks of disgust. An emoji cannot replace what a glance will do. Humanity is human. I think we should be too.

So no need to put the phone away but could you please press that phone symbol. Give me a ring, I'd love to hear your voice. I'd love to have you hear mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment