Saturday 16 January 2016

Buttertoffees on the bus

It just came over me.
Us on a bus laughing
hysterics over the butter toffees
and the incredible heat
"I can't feel my fingers!
Can you feel my fingers?
What even are fingers?"
Abs seizing with delight as
resolve dissipated and the bag
tears. One, two, three
sweet butter toffees.
We found those moments so funny,
so inexplicably joyful
as our mouths were filled with
words sneaking out between the
Laughter.
and it just came over me.
Today, as I sat and read my book
alone on the couch.
The simple sweetness of those toffees
and our bus seats side by side
how we tried to stop laughing
how we just couldn't.

I hold those moments near me.
because as time creaks further
and further away
and it does what time
is oft to do.
They say time heals all wounds,
I think,
it cures all love too.
But this morning as my feet curled
from the cold outside my window
I couldn’t help but consider.
Those feelings still steal me
when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment